The ruins at Knossos were discovered in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos, a Cretan merchant and antiquarian.
The palace of Knossos is about 130 meters on a side and since the Roman period has been suggested as the source of the myth of the Labyrinth, an elaborate mazelike structure constructed for King Minos of Crete and designed by the legendary artificer Daedalus to hold the Minotaur, a creature that was half man and half bull and was eventually killed by the Athenian hero Theseus.
The centerpiece of the "Mycenaean" palace was the so-called Throne Room or Little Throne Room. This chamber has an alabaster seat identified by Evans as a "throne" built into the north wall. On three sides of the room are gypsum benches. A sort of tub area is opposite the throne.